Saturday, October 25, 2008

17 Down, 35 To Go

Book: Notes From Underground - Fyodor Dostoevsky
Album:  Darkside of the Moon - Pink Floyd

I just finished reading Notes From Underground.  It was assigned for a class.  I am not sure what I think about it.  The narrator is unlikeable, the text was dense, and I am unsure what the point of the novel was.  The first part of the book was entirely philosophical, the second part certainly explained why the underground man developed these philosophies, but it never seemed compelling.  I think the goal was not to create a likable book but to present a glimpse of society that we tend to ignore.  The underground man seems to unreliable and unstable to be trusted, but does not seem to be actually "crazy".  Ultimately, I am too conflicted to either recommend or detract from the book.

Pink Floyd's Darkside of the Moon is all about mental illness.  It seems to fit the themes of the book well.  Although the real draw to the album is not the story but the guitars.  I don't really need to write about this album because everyone who is reading the blog has already heard the album.

No comments: