Friday, September 14, 2007

Ennui/Melencholia with For FAP/BP

A long relationship has just ended. If it ended like most relationships do it was not because you caught the other cheating. It ended because the two of you were changing. Because the spark that was once there does not seem to be there. Because one person is becoming colder and more distant while the other is still head over heals for the other. And while being broken up with sucks, breaking up with someone hurts as well. If you have been in a longer term relationship then clearly you care about that person. And you are the one who has to tell them that things have changed. That while you care for them you don't want them romantically any more. And you hold out hope that they will return to that special place in your heart, you are still worried that it might not. And while you may not vomit and cry in the same violent manner, you do cry and vomit and try anything to let yourself forget for a moment about how much it hurts. And the only position that feels good is the fetal position. And your friends don't understand why you are blue because they claim you are free. All you are really free from is the person that you care about and would have given the world for. Because while you are no longer in a romantic relationship you still care about them more than yourself.



In honor of all the playlists I have received from my dad here are my ten saddest songs:

Elliott Smith - Rose Parade
Trying to pick the saddest Elliott Smith song is like choosing your favorite child. You can do it but man is that an evil process. This is just the Smith song that I have been listening to the most lately.

Leonard Cohen - Famous Blue Raincoat
When you want a laugh you go to Cohen. This is a pretty morose song. About the one that got away or you let get away. A love letter to her.

Elvis Costello - Almost Blue
Elvis works for both break up playlist and broken up playist. This is the the broken up. I knew he was angry I did not know he could go sad, at least not quite like this.

Tom Waits - Time
"And its time/And its time/And its time, time, time that you loved me/And its time/time/time" If there has been a sadder lyric I haven't heard it. Description of the morose night owls.

Nick Drake - Time of No Reply
A hall of famer for the mopey sad guys. I could explain why the song is on here but why bother?

Chet Baker - My Funny Valentine
I haven't decided if that is actually one of the saddest songs or not but it is in heavy rotation right now. It sounds sad to me but it might just be my brain connecting the dots.

Pearl Jam - Black
Its a hit. You have heard it. You may have even cried to it. Certainly helped bring down your day.

Jackson Browne - Fountain of Sorrow
I grew up on Jackson Browne therefore I do not nessicarly associate him with sadness. then I listened to the lyrics. I thought about jumping out my window and then I remembered it was a second story. So instead I just lay in bed.

The Mountain Goats - Get Lonely
This is sad. This is so sad that it only makes sense after the relationship has just ended.

Band of Horses - Is There A Ghost
Not that sad compared to the others. In fact I think there is hope in the song which makes it a good end note but its still not happy. As I lay here I see a possible speck of light with this song.

And I know what you are thinking right now, "What about Bright Eyes?" Well, they just don't really do it for me right now. They are angst-y and I like them but they are not blue.

1 comment:

Dallas said...

Good to have you back among the bloggers, and very nice list (although really, Bright Eyes doesn't rate a mention here.) Two things you absolutely must do: check out Chet Baker's version of Costello's Almost Blue (probably available on iTunes but let me know if it isn't) and watch the documentary on his life, Let's Get Lost.