Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Check In and Album Reviews

Okay so I decided it was time for a check in and some album reviews instead of all politics all the time.  Boston is going well.  I like my classes.  Swahili is almost overwhelming but it is interesting.  It is certainly a huge change from English.  Calculus may end up being a pain in the ass.  I am not totally sure.  My teacher has an accent that is like a verbal cinder block.  English and Economics shouldn't be too bad.  Both are kinda interesting.  I want to read Thomas Friedman's new book.  It relates to the type of geography I am interested in.  I signed up to join the radio station, along with a bunch of other groups. 

Shareen is doing well.  She likes her classes and is still set on psychology, but slowly considering Public relations which I think she would be great at.  She is a research assistant for her psych professor.  Which is pretty cool.  Overall I am impressed at how well she has been able to transition to college life.

I have been listening to a couple albums a lot recently.  So here are thoughts/reviews:
  • Ra Ra Riot - The Rhumb Line: This album is pretty good.  I just listened to it for the second time.  I like it.  It has a similar vibe to Vampire Weekend, only less ethnic-y.  I will see if it continues to grow on me.
  • The Gaslight Anthem - The 59 Sound:  This band and the Loved Ones made me care about punk rock again, at least a little bit.  It sounds like Bruce Springsteen with a frog in his throat.  The album does not break entirely new ground but it is a fun record to listen to.  The same can not be said for the latest Anti-Flag album.
  • Shearwater - Rook:  This is kinda like Okkervil River's sad little brother.  Which makes sense since the main guy in Okkervil started this band with the main guy in Shearwater to release more acoustic music.  With this album hopefully Shearwater will be able to get out of big brother's shadow.  The songs are rich and well developed.  They are well done but maintain an sloppy edge.
  • Wale - Mixtape About Nothing:  This is a great album.  Wale might be the premier lyricist out there.  He is on par with lil wayne, only less absurd.  Plus the album was free which is a plus.
  • The Walkmen - You and Me:  I have listened to this album a couple times and like it.  It gives off a vibe similar to The National.  Which took a bunch of listens before I really like Boxer, now I listen to it almost daily.  So we will see where this ends up.
Otherwise I am not up to much.  I am excited for the new Tv On the Radio, Okkervil River, and Deerhunter albums.  Eager to start working at the radio station.  Hopefully I will have a new 52 to post soon.  Expect another Suburban Noise soon.  Otherwise that is all for me at the moment.  I am out.

1 comment:

The Captain said...

Check out my interview with Mathieu Santos of Ra Ra Riot at captainmelody.blogspot.com. Let me know if you want to link up.