Sunday, November 23, 2008

19 Down, 33 to Go

Book:  Consider the Lobster - David Foster Wallace
Album:  Shake the Sheets - Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

I bought this book the day he died.  I started reading it roughly the same week.  Consider the Lobster is an extremely entertaining book.  "Big Red Son" made me howl with laughter.  The stories on 9/11 were interesting.  "Up, Simba" was fascinating to compare McCain 2000 v McCain 2008 v Obama.  "Consider the Lobster" has made me no longer eat lobster and makes you question the decency of killing another living creature.  There was only one story I couldn't get through: "Authority and American Usage".

Ted Leo writes great albums.  They are fun, entertaining, political, and everything else.  He is one of Rock n Roll's few populists.  He attempts to appeal to everyone through hard work and good songs.  This is my favorite album by him.  To me it is as consistent and well done as London Calling or This Years Model.   If you don't have it, go buy it today!

No comments: