Thursday, November 27, 2008

20 Down, 32 to Go

Book: Dharma Bums - Jack Kerouac 
Album: None

I read this book really fast.  I think I started it on Sunday and was done with it mid-flight Wednesday. It was very enjoyable.  Kerouac showed the dual nature that I seem to have: a desire to be alone in the wilderness and be out with my friends at parties.  The Buddhism in the story seemed a little thin, he never really explained what the various ideas and terms meant.  Yet, I think the book would have lost momentum if Kerouac explained each school of Buddhism.  Overall, it was a fun, fast, and entertaining read.

Since I read the book so quickly I did really listen to an album or anything that captured the mod of it.  I have various songs that I listened to a fair amount during the time I read it, so here they are:
  • Flying Lotus - Roberta Flack
  • Madlib - In Jah Hands (Dillas Lament)
  • Miles Davis - So What
  • John Coltrane - Giant Steps
  • Charles Mingus - Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
  • Chitti Babu - Ragam: Kharaharapriya

1 comment:

Rick Dale, author of The Beat Handbook said...

Bums is my favorite Kerouac novel! Maybe you'd appreciate my Kerouac-obsessed blog: www.thedailytbeatblog.blogspot.com.