Monday, June 05, 2006

Parents

So yesterday Julian had a bbq at his house which was fun. And I suggested that we could have one at my house tomorrow. And he said that he owed one ot his mom because she allowed them to be loud in the pool. Now this seems bizarre for two reasons: first his parents kept telling us to be quite so it wasn't like they never said anything and second isn't that what you do in a pool be loud and splash. So the idea of owing her one seemed completely ludacris to me. Especially to your parents isn't that what they do put up with your shit?

Then again I live a very different life when it comes to parents. First my parents are almost never consulted when it comes to most aspects of my life. The major descions they might play some role but even those I make the choice for the most part. They really just let me do whatever. When it came to applying to college they didn't tell me where to apply or anything like. In fact I think they only told me two things about applying: you cant apply to either USC or Buffalo. And certainly no one at the school really knows who they are. A few people know my dad but no one knows my mom. That's because they really don't see the point in doing the school functions. After I leave, my family will have nothing to do with the school. Neither of my brother's will go to smes and that might be why people find my family so bizarre. We just don't care bout the school.

the other thing that I find interesting about parents is the need to proclaim there love for the kid. In the year book there is about a million pages of ads saying how proud the family is that the student graduated and that they love them. This sort seems like a given. When a kid graduates the parents and the parents love them. If you don't meet those two qualities, chances are your kid isn't graduating. So why are there all those damn pages? I guess its to tell everyone that you love them. A need to once again show off. As if your big house nice car and fashionable clothes aren't enough. In the end all that these things say is that "fuck you I am better than you and that I love my kid more than you love kid"

top 5
Gnarls Barkley - Smiley Faces
Ted leo - timorous me
Bruce Springsteen - If I should fall behind
Lyle lovett - If I had a boat
Robert Earl Keen - Crystabel

No comments: