Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Waiting for Rocko: Mixtapes and work

So I am at work and I am waiting for Rocky to arrive so I can show him that I am in fact at working and even sorta working. I wouldn't call what I am exactly doing working since I am sitting here writing in my blog but I am pretty sure I am doing more than a lot of students. The sad state of affairs at SMES. In a way I wish I was still at school simply because it was fun to just hang out and do nothing in most of my classes. If I could have gotten out of Spanish, I would have had the perfect schedule.

At work I do relatively minor things because I am untrained and uneducated labor. Thus I am filing, data entry, and doing inventory most of the day. Except for the part that I am eating lunch, taking a break, or working on my blog. So a great way to use my time. But I do enjoy working. My coworkers are smart and relatively funny. Also they seem to like me which is a plus because I am sure that some people in the school did not like me.

As I was sitting here I read a comment Dallas left me on my blog, which was my grade for a paper which I turned in as a blog. This was a post modern assignment and I went the post modern route and posted it. The reason I find it postmodern is that why do I think anyone cares about my thoughts on society and capitalism. Thus I am adding to the needless noise that our world is being filled with. And yet I continue to blog.

The second thing I saw was his great piece about the mixtape. An occupation that has taken up too much time in my life. As just about anyone at SMES can tell you I listen to my ipod a lot. And in Ms. finchers opinion too much. As she said it is disrespectful to listen to your headphones while talking to Mr. Boyle. While I listen to my ipod, about 75% of the time I am making an on-the-go mix of songs that I like and want in a convinent playlist. frequently the are poorly though out and badly time but they sometimes morph into a better playlist. Occasionally they even make it to cd form,and when that happens it means one of two things: one that the cd is properly mixed and I will not be embarrassed to play it for someone riding in my car or two that I wanted rap songs and I am too embarrassed to have power 106 on my stereo.

He also stated what every geeky guy believes which is that we are king of the mix tape. There can not be a million kings to a kingdom that tedious. Now I do not believe that I am at all the king. In fact I probably would be a middle manager level if it all came down to it, but I know that. Many many boys do not realize that there mixs just plain suck. Eventually they figure it out and let the pros take over for the party, but they originally make the rest of us suffer through bad songs from 50 cent and other assorted pop stars. But with any luck by the end of the night a different dj has taken the ipod and revived the party.

top 5
Catherine wheel - black metallic
Happy Mondays - 24 hour party people
David Bowie - here's/helden
Lcd Soundsystem - Yeah(crass version)
Kasbian - Club Foot

No comments: