Saturday, December 01, 2007

Fire Alarms and Incompletes

Someone in my building has been pulling the fire alarm. This morning at 4:30 AM and then again around 4 PM. I am organizing a lynching party and we will start to randomly execute people if this does not stop.

In other news it is the end of the year and I am thinking about doing what everyone does at this point in the year and making best of lists. It will probably be best albums, best old albums, best movies, best singles, and lastly best stuff I never heard. So lets get it on:

Best Stuff I Never Heard - to be eligible they are songs and albums that I never bought all of:

MIA - Kala
  • I never got into MIA. Seemed too gimicky. She has so really good songs, but it seemed to be too fake. Then I heard "Paper Planes". I still have doubts but man oh man is that a good song. The other songs I have heard from Kala have been solid as well. So maybe I will buy this album and it will leap to the top of the heap.
The National - Boxer
  • In an interview I read the lead singer said that people constantly say their songs grow on people which he took to the mean he could write a hook. This is partially true, the songs do not quite bet you over the head with greatness but they are good. "Fake Empire" is my favorite and in my top songs of the year.
Radiohead - In Rainbows
  • I am not a huge Radiohead fan. I think what they have done with digital downloads is revolutionary. Personally I still like to be own the album, the physical case and the artwork. I haven't heard this album but have heard a lot of good things. I will buy it when I can get a hard copy.
Les Savy Fav - Lets Stay Friends
  • I got into Les Savy Fav at the beginning of school. They are kind of a hard band to listen to but they are pretty awesome. Loud and Absurd and I have heard the live show is amazing. "Best Before Year 2000" is my favorite song from the album that I have heard.
Battles - Mirrored
  • Meshing human and computer in ways that Kraftwerk nor T-Pain could imagine. I am not sure that an entire album of this would be enjoyable, but a couple songs are good to break up the playlists. My favorite is "Leyendecker".
A Place to Bury Strangers - S/T
  • This year I got really into Jesus and Mary Chain. These guys are a lot like Jesus and Mary Chain but with My Bloody Valentine technology. The songs are loud and overwhelming like swimming in a sea of guitar. Ultra hard to find, I guess, but they are on itunes. "Ocean" or "I Know I'll See" are the songs.
Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
  • This and Modest Mouse's new album are the two albums I can not figure out why I did not buy. I really like Of Montreal and have no idea why I don't own this album. All the tracks I have heard are solid. And the EP they released right after this is also very good.
Deerhunter - Cryptograms
  • I alternate between hating and liking this group. Pitchfork is way too in love with them and the lead singer annoys me, but the music is pretty damn good. Maybe a little to homo-erotic for my taste but it is interesting and invigorating. "Crytograms" which is track one is my favorite song, sounds a lot like Joy Division.
Liars - Liars
  • Seriously weird guys but seriously good tunes. They seem to go all over the place with their records but not in a kitsch way. I am interested to hear all of this one. "Sailing to Byzantium" is my personal favorite track.
Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
  • Another wild album. Panda Bear, who is a member of Animal Collective, put out an album that I loved. Thus I checked this out. Sometimes the songs are a little too long and wild but other times they are great. "Peacebone" is the track I would check out and if you like it then try the rest of the album.
Ok so there are the top ten albums I haven't heard all of. There are plenty more and honorable mentions goes to:

Dan Deacon - Spiderman of the Rings
Black Lips - Good Bad Not Evil
Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
The Field - From Here We Go Sublime
Akron/Family - Love is Simple
Jose Gonzales - In Our Nature
High On Fire - Death is Communion
Black Octopus Project - Hello, Avalanche
Shocking Pinks - S/T
Simian Mobile Disco - Attack Decay Sustain Release
Wiley - Play Time is Over
Dizziee Rascal - Maths + English
Two Gallants - S/T

Hint - All of these Albums would make excellent gifts - Hint

No comments: