Saturday, February 16, 2008

7 Down, 45 To Go

Book: Shortcomings - Adrian Tomine
Album: Build and Burn - The Loved Ones

Shortcomings is a very interesting book. It is a graphic novel and provides a snap shot of a realtionship and life. It is about Ben, a self hating Asian university theater manager; Miko, Ben's girlfriend an Asian enthusiast and forward moving individual; and Alice, Ben's lesbian grad-student friend. It is a snap shot of decaying relationships and both people's unwillingness to change and desire to change and expand. It takes place in Berkley, which is completely appropriate. As I think about the small amount of time I spent in the Bay area it seems perfectly placed. No, not because many of the characters are gay or Asian. I saw it on a number of best of 2007 book lists and I am very glad that I finally picked it up and checked it out. Plus it was highly recommended by Jonathan Lethem.

Once again this album has little to do with the actual book. For instance I do not really imagine any of the characters listening to this album but the ideas of Building and Burning of relationships is especially characteristic of the book. Plus I saw the loved ones the other night and I am currently loving them. It is also one of the few times where I have read a new book and album at the same time.

No comments: