Sunday, January 13, 2008

2 Down, 50 To Go

Book: Best American Comics 2007
Album: Hello, Avalanche - The Octopus Project

Since I can remember my Dad has read the Best American Essays and Short Stories compilations. So when I saw that they put out a Best American Comics I had to get on it. I liked it pretty well. It was not amazing but it certainly had some really good comics and things that I want to check out. It gave me a good half dozen books to buy and look for. Most of the stories in the book were not about super heroes or extraordinary feats, but rather everyday life and situations. I also want to read this years Best American Short Stories because I have been told that Stephen Kings complains that the form of short story is dying.

Hello, Avalanche completely compliments the idea of comic book. It is music that is nothing but vibrant colors and fun sounds. Very much like Black Moth Super Rainbow's Dandelion Gum except happier and less deep beats. Also there are no vocals which make you focus on the sound complimenting comic books seeming lack of words and emphasis on art. It is little surprise that this band is currently popular on the blogs and was selected last year to open Coachella. I suggest both very much.

No comments: