Sunday, January 06, 2008

Birthday, Sucker Punches and Growing Up

My birthday was ok. I turned 20 which was cool but I mean hardly noteworthy really. I went out to lunch which was nice, good to talk to Taylor without Julian. The family dinner was good, despite what my mom thinks. Ethan got me gifts that I literally handed to him. Shareen gave me a really cool graffiti book, it will appear in the 52. What was noteworthy was that I got my nose busted during Social Distortion.

Shareen very sweetly bought me tickets to them. And I went and saw the show. At the start of "Mommy's Little Monster" I ran to the pit and was able to make one circle before a skinhead punched me in the face. It felt like my nose broke, I couldn't see and was suddenly really dizzy, and then I started to bleed. Anyway I missed about a third of the show and never went back downstairs.

At the show I realized I was growing up. The songs now longer meant much to me and the themes were no longer applicable really. The idea of no future and embracing failure and that you maybe be smart but I am tough, never really described me and do even less now. I have a future, I have not failed so far, I have not screwed up, and I am both smart and fairly tough. At least tough enough to be punched my a nazi at a concert.

No comments: